Belonging / Stories from Far North Queensland
Temporarily out of stock
Slated to become the seminal text on contemporary Indigenous artmaking in Far North Queensland, the publication is an important companion to the exhibition as well as a significant standalone legacy document and vital record of recent history of Queensland art centres and the Belonging/Northern Disclosure arts development project. The exhibition will feature works from the recently acquired collection of 415 artworks from IACA member art centres produced during the IACA coordinated, national award-winning, multi-year Belonging/Northern Disclosure arts development project.
The book includes introductory remarks from Mathew Trinca, Director of the NMA addressing the significance and acquisition of the Belonging collection, a historical background to art centres of the Far North Queensland region by Industry expert Tim Acker and an overview of the first 10 years of the Indigenous Art Centre Alliance by outgoing Manager Pam Bigelow.
Articles by workshop facilitators Edwina Circuitt, Rebecca Dagnall and Curtis Taylor describe personal insights and anecdotes behind the scenes of the Belonging/Northern Disclosure workshops and the essay by NMA senior Indigenous curator Shona Coyne unwraps the lasting legacy of the project as revealed through the lens of the exhibition.
Dedicated chapters profiling each art centre involved in the project celebrate their uniqueness and superbly showcase the artworks while unpacking the personal stories of the artists. Comprising various media including painting, weaving, fluorescent installations, ceramics, sculptures, film and photography, the artworks share what are largely, previously untold stories and perspectives on history, experiences, culture, issues and life from artists in these remote Indigenous communities.
The publication is sponsored by the Gordon Darling Foundation and supported by the National Museum of Australia.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 3 -5 days (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $14.95
Free parcel post on orders over $129 up to $400
Parcel Post - $34.95 on orders $400 and over
Express Post - $19.95 on orders up to $400
Express Post - $49.95 on orders $400 and over
Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
* For the most up-to-date information on your order delivery please download the AusPost App here.
*Please note Express Post does not mean Priority Shipping. We do not offer Priority Shipping. If you select Express Postage orders will be dispatch in the quoted time frames. For delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking
*Welcome to Country takes no responsibility for items lost in transit
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong