Djenj Dja Komrdaw Linen Euro Sham from Kip & Co and Bábbarra
Temporarily out of stock
Artist: Margot Gurawiliwili
Kip&Co x Bábbarra - all profits are shared equally.
100% French flax linen euro sham.
ABOUT THE ARTWORK:
Djenj dja komrdawh, 2006 © Margot Gurawiliwili / Licensed by Copyright Agency
These images are not to be reproduced without the approval of the licensor.
“My country is called Mankorlod. It is near the rock country. My dreaming is komrdawh (long neck turtle), the one I painted in my design. I like to eat komrdawh, it tastes really nice. We catch them in dry and wet season near Mankorlod. This is my first ever design, and I only have one design. I painted it with brush at Bábbarra Women’s Centre, and I feel proud when people print my design.”
The vines depicted in this design grow naturally on the floodplains in Arnhem Land and are used by women to weave and create fibre sculpture. The long-necked turtle and freshwater fish depicted are popular bush foods.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
In addition to being a strong textile artist, Margot is also a talented weaver, skillfully weaving pandanus into colourful baskets and dillybags. She uses a number of weaving techniques, including coiling and twinning, and makes a range of functional and ceremonial objects, including baskets, dilly bags, string bags and mats.
Margot is renowned for her bold designs, the consistency of her weave and her sophisticated sense of form. She is confident sourcing a diverse range of pigments from natural plant materials, such as leaves, roots and berries.
ABOUT THE COLLABORATION:
We are incredibly proud to share the Kip&Co x Bábbarra collaboration, which is back after popular demand, after selling out within weeks in 2020. The Bábbarra Women’s Centre is based in Maningrida, Arnhem Land, and is governed by women, for women, to enable future enterprises that support healthy and sustainable livelihoods. In 2018, Kip&Co received an invitation to collaborate with the artists and spent two years working closely with this incredible group to create a collection that respectfully showcases their contemporary art, and tells the ancestral stories of Arnhem Land countries and cultures. The partnership is best practice, and one that sets a benchmark for future collaborations. All profits are shared equally, with 50% going to the Bábbarra Women’s Centre. This is a limited edition, get in quick!
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $150 and over)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong