Hand Woven Bag by Rachel Dikul Baker
Temporarily out of stock
This bag is a one of a kind, beautifully handcrafted statement piece.
Approximate size 34(L) x 9(H)cm
Materials are made from 100% Pandanus fibres and dyed with 100% natural bush dyes using roots, berries, leaves and ashes.
Each bag is made with Pandanus fibres which take one or two days to collect. Then the bush dyes take two days to collect and prep, then another day of dying the fibres and drying them. Weaving then takes one to two weeks. All up each bag takes about three weeks to make.
Australian Woven Connections (AWC) is a unique small business located in Darwin that has generations of traditional knowledge that has been passed down from many Elders. AWC is about connecting with one another using a culturally safe space that is embedded and aligned with ancient Aboriginal principles and ethics. They share their knowledge and experiences with others and pride themselves on always culturally, ethically and sustainably utilising 100% natural bush dyes.
Rachel is a Yolngu woman living on Larrakia Country, Darwin and the founder of AWC. She was born into the weaving world through ancestral family connections and has been mentored by Lilly Roy, an Elder and Traditional Owner of Milingimbi Community.
She has also learnt ancient weaving techniques from Elders that are master weavers from Yirrkala, Numbulwar, Gapuwiyak, Ramingining and Maparu Homelands.
"I get my inspiration from how the bush dyes come out differently each time and I like to mix and experiment with natural bush dyes."
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 to 72 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $14.95
Free parcel post on orders over $129 up to $400
Parcel Post - $34.95 on orders $400 and over
Express Post - $19.95 on orders up to $400
Express Post - $49.95 on orders $400 and over
Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
*Please note Express Post does not mean Priority Shipping. We do not offer Priority Shipping. If you select Express Postage orders will be dispatch in the quoted time frames. For delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong