Horse and cowboy by Johnny Young
These copper Horse & Cowboy Riders are individually made by hand, no two are the same. Each piece is made from recycled copper, recycled leather and painted with acrylic paint.
Johnny grew up on the mission at Santa Teresa, also known as Ltyentye Apurte, situated 85kms east of Alice Springs. As a boy, he would watch his uncles carve soap stone, and hand stitch saddles. To entertain himself, Johnny started making toys to play with, made from batteries and nails and wire. As a young man, Johnny worked as a Stockman, and in his spare time, he created bush toys from wire, scraps of metal, and other salvaged materials. His first adult work, was a small version of a football field with players made from horse shoe nails. Johnny's subjects range from cowboys and rodeo riders, and kangaroos, to pack camels and riders to motorbikes.
Figurines are constructed from recycled copper wire, wound tightly together, then are dressed with salvaged material and painted. Johnny's work features in a number of Australian and international collections, and has been exhibited broadly across Australia. He was part of the Bush Toys exhibition in 2000, and in 2004, People Choice 21st Telstra NATSIA Award (Darwin).
- Copper Wire and Steel
- Artwork Size
- 28 cm x 26 cm x 9 cm
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $150 and over)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong