Kalaru silk scarf by Nancy Nyanjilpayi Chapman
Only a few left in stock
“You got to get that kalaru, grind it and make a damper. Get him up and wash him, wash him, wash him then grind him into flour for a damper.” – Nancy Nyanjilpayi Chapman
In this work, Chapman depicts the edible native succulent kalaru (samphire). Kalarugrows in abundance around the warla (salt lakes) and lyinji (clay pans) of Chapman’s Country. The plant sheds edible black seeds that are collected, rinsed many times over, ground into a flour, then used to make damper. It is a time consuming dish that is still created for special occasions today.
Chapman’s painting practice is defined by a similar commitment to process. In this work,the delicate fanning of kalaru fronds gently frame Chapman’s meticulously fine dot work, representing a cache of jewel-like seeds. Chapman’s masterful use of colour and layering add a depth and movement to the work that seems to ripple with the motion of winnowing.
110cm x 110cm 12mm 100% Silk satin with hand rolled edges. Comes in a beautiful gift box and includes artist's card, detailing the artist's card, detailing the artist's work and practice.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | Free parcel post shipping on orders $129 and over, Express Post - $14.95 | Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong