Karu: Growing up Gurindji
Only a few left in stock
Gurindji country is located in the southern Victoria River in the Northern Territory of Australia. Gurindji people became well known in the 1960s and 1970s due to their influence on Australian politics and the Indigenous land rights movement. They were instrumental in gaining equal wages for Aboriginal cattle station employees and they were also the first Aboriginal group to recover control of their traditional lands.
In Karu, Gurindji women describe their child-rearing practices. Some have a spiritual basis, while others are highly practical in nature, such as the use of bush medicines. Many Gurindji ways of raising children contrast with non-Indigenous practices because they are deeply embedded in an understanding of country and family connections. This book celebrates children growing up Gurindji and honours those Gurindji mothers, grandmothers, assistant teachers and health workers who dedicate their lives to making that possible.
Karu: Growing Up Gurindji shares the cultural knowledge, language and experiences of some extraordinary women and their roles as matriarchs, aunties, sisters and health workers. Karu gives new meaning to the phrase ‘bedtime stories’ with Dreamtime stories about Gurindji country, its creatures, and the morals followed to live a rich life. This book, accompanied by striking photos and artwork, is not only a gift to mothers, but everyone who values children.
—Dr Anita Heiss, Wiradjuri Nation, author and Professor of Communications, University of Queensland
Beautifully written by First Nations women on Gurindji country where the fight for equal wages began. This book passionately expresses the stories told by strong women about their history and culture. A must read!
—Senator Malarndirri McCarthy, Yanyuwa Nation, Senator for the Northern Territory
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 to 72 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $14.95
Free parcel post on orders over $129 up to $400
Parcel Post - $34.95 on orders $400 and over
Express Post - $19.95 on orders up to $400
Express Post - $49.95 on orders $400 and over
Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
*Please note Express Post does not mean Priority Shipping. We do not offer Priority Shipping. If you select Express Postage orders will be dispatch in the quoted time frames. For delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong