Kunkurra Linen Fitted Sheet from Kip & Co and Bábbarra
Temporarily out of stock
Artist: Janet Marawarr
Kip&Co x Bábbarra - all profits are shared equally.
100% French flax linen fitted sheet.
ABOUT THE ARTWORK:
Kunkurra, 2015 ©Janet Marawarr / Licensed by Copyright Agency
These images are not to be reproduced without the approval of the licensor.
This work depicts the kunkurra, the spiralling wind associated with several sites in the Kardbam clan.
The artwork has two stories. First, it shows the kinds of mini-cyclones common during the wet season in Arnhem Land. Secondly, Kunkurra relates specifically to a site called Bilwoyinj, near Mankorlod, on Janet’s husband’s clan estate. At this site, two of the most important Kuninjku creation beings, a father and son known as nakorrkko, are believed to have hunted and eaten a goanna. They left some of the goanna fat behind at the site, which turned into the rock that still stands there today.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Janet is a talented linocut and screen print designer. She regards textile design as an opportunity to work with colour and a new method to express her djang (ancestral creator stories).
As well as her artistic work with Bábbarra Women’s Centre, she works for the Maningrida Night Patrol, a community safety service.
Janet’s ancestor spirits are Mandjurlukkun (Wild black berries), and Dadbe (King brown snake).
ABOUT THE COLLABORATION:
We are incredibly proud to share the Kip&Co x Bábbarra collaboration, which is back after popular demand, after selling out within weeks in 2020. The Bábbarra Women’s Centre is based in Maningrida, Arnhem Land, and is governed by women, for women, to enable future enterprises that support healthy and sustainable livelihoods. In 2018, Kip&Co received an invitation to collaborate with the artists and spent two years working closely with this incredible group to create a collection that respectfully showcases their contemporary art, and tells the ancestral stories of Arnhem Land countries and cultures. The partnership is best practice, and one that sets a benchmark for future collaborations. All profits are shared equally, with 50% going to the Bábbarra Women’s Centre. This is a limited edition, get in quick!
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $150 and over)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong