Ngarduk Kunred Cosmetics Purse from Kip & Co and Bábbarra
Artist: Helen Lanyinwanga
Kip&Co x Bábbarra - all profits are shared equally.
100% Cotton Canvas, leather trims.
22x14cm cosmetics purse.
ABOUT THE ARTWORK:
Ngarduk Kunred, 2017 ©Helen Lanyinwanga (deceased) / Licensed by Copyright Agency
These images are not to be reproduced without the approval of the licensor.
“My design is of the kunbad (rocks) at the kunwardde (stone country). I call this country mother. These rocks live at the bottom of the kunronj (fresh water)- some are old, some are cracked and some are soft. The kunronj runs over the stones, and when we drink this water it tastes sweet and fresh.”
This design depicts the stone country near Yikarrakkal, which is Helen’s mother’s traditional country. It is country filled with important sacred sites and living spirits under the river bed hiding among the rocks.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Helen was a senior textile artist with Bábbarra Designs since 2008. Helen had a key role mentoring young and emerging artists, and she is mother to leading Bábbarra artists including Jennifer Wurrkidj and Deborah Wurrkidj (pictured here proudly with her mother’s design), both of whom are part of the Kip&Co collaboration.
Helen was also an accomplished artist in other mediums, notably basket weavings and prints on paper. Her artwork has toured the United States and been exhibited throughout Australia, and her textile art is in the collection of the National Gallery of Australia.
Helen’s ancestor spirits were Djaddi (green monkey frog), Yawkyawk (female water spirits).
ABOUT THE COLLABORATION:
We are incredibly proud to share the Kip&Co x Bábbarra collaboration, which is back after popular demand, after selling out within weeks in 2020. The Bábbarra Women’s Centre is based in Maningrida, Arnhem Land, and is governed by women, for women, to enable future enterprises that support healthy and sustainable livelihoods. In 2018, Kip&Co received an invitation to collaborate with the artists and spent two years working closely with this incredible group to create a collection that respectfully showcases their contemporary art, and tells the ancestral stories of Arnhem Land countries and cultures. The partnership is best practice, and one that sets a benchmark for future collaborations. All profits are shared equally, with 50% going to the Bábbarra Women’s Centre. This is a limited edition, get in quick!
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $150 and over)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong