Shake A Leg
Only a few left in stock
A unique picture book collaboration about having fun, sharing culture and the power of story and dance. A picture book to get the whole town dancing.
From pizza shop to bora ground, here is a joyous celebration of food, dance and cultural understanding.
When three young boys go to a pizza parlour and meet an Aboriginal chef who can speak Italian and make a deadly pizza, they're in for a surprise!
All you fellas watching, come up, join in, warrima.
Clap your hands, little ones.
Stamp your feet, nannas.
Get down and dance, you smart young things, mummas and daddas.
Let's get the whole town dancing!
Boori Monty Pryor is a storyteller, dancer, writer and educator, and Jan Ormerod is an internationally acclaimed picture-book author and illustrator. This glorious book is the first one they have cooked up together.
Boori Monty Pryor was born in North Queensland. His father is from the Birrigubba of the Bowen region and his mother from Yarrabah (near Cairns), a descendant of the Kungganji. Boori is a multi-talented performer who has worked in film, television, modelling, sport, music and theatre. He is also an accomplished didgeridoo player who has performed with the Brisbane Symphony Orchestra and appeared in many schools. Boori has written several award-winning children's books with Meme McDonald including My Girragundji, The Binna Binna Man and Njunjul The Sun. His memoir Maybe Tomorrow was re-released in an anniversary edition in 2010 and its message for reconciliation is as relevant as ever. Shake a Leg evolved from pictures of his family dancing, which Boori showed Jan Ormerod, sparking a long and rewarding collaboration between him and Jan. Boori lives in Melbourne, but spends much of the year on the road. His stories are about finding strength within to deal with the challenges without, and his skill is to create positive visions of the future for both indigenous and white people.
Boori Monty Pryor was Australia's Children's Laureate in 2012 and 2013.
Jan Ormerod grew up in Western Australia, and as a child she was constantly drawing. After becoming a mother, Jan turned to children's book illustration. Her first book, Sunshine, won awards around the world. She has since had over 50 books published, including Moonlight, Lizzie Nonsense and Water Witcher.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $149 and over) (Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong