Silk Sari Earrings by Sharna Wurramara
Only a few left in stock
About Sharna Wurramara
‘I grew up here, in Angurugu.
As a kid I went out hunting with my grandmother and grandfather. You know when you go to Umbakumba, that road out to Salt Lake, my grandfather used to live on the outstation there.
Sometimes I was with my grandma and grandpa. Going fishing, catching big fish, oysters and turtle.
My grandmother used to make baskets and bush bag and my grandfather carved and did everything.
Sometimes on Friday I go fishing with my mother, on her country, and sometimes to the big river.
The art centre is eningaba (good), every Tuesday we’re doing dyeing and making baskets.’
About Anindilyakwa Art Centre
“The Land Council started by people coming together to think and talk for the future. They made the art centre in 2005 for all Anindilyakwa people.
Some people were already making art and selling it to Balanda (non-Indigenous people) on the Eylandt. Spears, Woomera, didgeridoo, paintings and baskets.
Now we sell the art to the art centre first, they pay us and sell it on.
The art centre can sell it anywhere, like when we go out to Darwin for the art fair. People love what we’re doing, the bush dye and jewellery.
Balanda (non-Indigenous people) when they buy art straight from our art centre, it’s better. We get good money to build the art centre for the future.
The art centre is for people to come and learn, we learn (teach) new people from the community to make art the old ways.
The art centre is good for community, not everyone is an artist or interested in learning the old ways. It’s important that we teach them so they can make baskets and dilly bags too. The old people left us this for the future.”
- Annabel Amagula, Senior Anindilyakwa Artist
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $149 and over) (Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong