Summer Scarf Number 2 by Cedric Varcoe
Only a few left in stock
Summer Scarf Number 2
70 x 200cm
When Ngurunderi travelled through what is now Ngarrindjeri country he came down the Murray River in his canoe. At that time it was just a small stream. Ngurunderi was looking for his two wives who had run away from him and was following Pondi, the big Murray Cod who had created the twists and turns of the river when sweeping his huge tail from side to side. Ngurunderi was trying to spear Pondi all the way along the journey. Together they formed the Murray River, lakes and landforms and everything in Ngarrindjeri Country. Ngurunderi made the rain that feeds the river and the country. With the rain came the rainbow, which can be seen in this painting. Ngurunderi also made the Ngarrindjeri people, who live along and around the River Murray, lakes, the Coorong region and across to Cape Jervis and the southern regions of what is now Adelaide.
Ngurunderi travelled with his family and they also played a part in the creation of Ngarrindjeri country. Ngurunderi taught everyone the lore, dance, song, how to hunt and live and everything they needed to survive in their country. When they reached Lake Alexandrina Nepele, Ngurunderi’s brother in law, helped spear and kill Pondi. Ngurunderi cut Pondi into many pieces, each piece creating a new species of fish that now populates the river system. Ngurunderi never did catch his wives who drowned when crossing to Kangaroo Island, which was still joined to the mainland at that time. At this point Ngurunderi joined the spirit world becoming a star in the Milky Way.
This scarf is from Better World Arts. Artists receive royalties. Better World Art are members of the Indigenous Art Code.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $149 and over)
* International orders are shipped via DHL Express - $49 (Free DHL Express shipping on orders $249 and over)
* Orders shipped to non-Australian locations may incur duties, customs charges and fees. It is the responsibility of the customer to check criteria which may apply to their order, and to organise any applicable payment to ensure the order reaches its intended recipient.
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong