Well written and very interesting
Temporarily out of stock
The Drover's Wife is utterly authentic, brilliantly plotted, thoroughly harrowing and entirely of our times exploring race, gender, violence and inheritance.
Deep in the heart of Australia’s high country, along an ancient, hidden track, lives Molly Johnson and her four surviving children, another on the way. Husband Joe is away months at a time droving livestock up north, leaving his family in the bush to fend for itself. Molly’s children are her world, and life is hard and precarious with only their dog, Alligator, and a shotgun for protection – but it can be harder when Joe’s around.
At just twelve years of age Molly’s eldest son Danny is the true man of the house, determined to see his mother and siblings safe – from raging floodwaters, hunger and intruders, man and reptile. Danny is mature beyond his years, but there are some things no child should see. He knows more than most just what it takes to be a drover’s wife.
One night under the moon’s watch, Molly has a visitor of a different kind – a black ‘story keeper’, Yadaka. He’s on the run from authorities in the nearby town, and exchanges kindness for shelter. Both know that justice in this nation caught between two worlds can be as brutal as its landscape. But in their short time together, Yadaka shows Molly a secret truth, and the strength to imagine a different path.
Full of fury and power, Leah Purcell’s The Drover’s Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson is a brave reimagining of the Henry Lawson short story that has become an Australian classic. Brilliantly plotted, it is a compelling thriller of our pioneering past that confronts head-on issues of today: race, gender, violence and inheritance.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $149 and over) (Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* International orders are shipped via DHL Express - $49 (Free DHL Express shipping on orders $249 and over)
* Orders shipped to non-Australian locations may incur duties, customs charges and fees. It is the responsibility of the customer to check criteria which may apply to their order, and to organise any applicable payment to ensure the order reaches its intended recipient.
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong
Well written and very interesting
On all orders over $99.00.
Benefitting Indigenous artists and communities.
Contributes to employment, economic and wellbeing outcomes.