In stock and ready to ship
The Drover's Wife is utterly authentic, brilliantly plotted, thoroughly harrowing and entirely of our times exploring race, gender, violence and inheritance.
Deep in the heart of Australia’s high country, along an ancient, hidden track, lives Molly Johnson and her four surviving children, another on the way. Husband Joe is away months at a time droving livestock up north, leaving his family in the bush to fend for itself. Molly’s children are her world, and life is hard and precarious with only their dog, Alligator, and a shotgun for protection – but it can be harder when Joe’s around.
At just twelve years of age Molly’s eldest son Danny is the true man of the house, determined to see his mother and siblings safe – from raging floodwaters, hunger and intruders, man and reptile. Danny is mature beyond his years, but there are some things no child should see. He knows more than most just what it takes to be a drover’s wife.
One night under the moon’s watch, Molly has a visitor of a different kind – a black ‘story keeper’, Yadaka. He’s on the run from authorities in the nearby town, and exchanges kindness for shelter. Both know that justice in this nation caught between two worlds can be as brutal as its landscape. But in their short time together, Yadaka shows Molly a secret truth, and the strength to imagine a different path.
Full of fury and power, Leah Purcell’s The Drover’s Wife: The Legend of Molly Johnson is a brave reimagining of the Henry Lawson short story that has become an Australian classic. Brilliantly plotted, it is a compelling thriller of our pioneering past that confronts head-on issues of today: race, gender, violence and inheritance.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 3 -5 days (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $14.95
Free parcel post on orders over $129 up to $400
Parcel Post - $34.95 on orders $400 and over
Express Post - $19.95 on orders up to $400
Express Post - $49.95 on orders $400 and over
Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
* For the most up-to-date information on your order delivery please download the AusPost App here.
*Please note Express Post does not mean Priority Shipping. We do not offer Priority Shipping. If you select Express Postage orders will be dispatch in the quoted time frames. For delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking
*Welcome to Country takes no responsibility for items lost in transit
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong
I thought this book was wonderful on so may levels. It dealt with a number of issues well, was heart-rendingly sad, evocative, informative and also hopeful. The characters were very well developed.
Can’t wait to read this book. It was a wonderful movie.
Well written and very interesting
On all orders over $129
Benefitting Indigenous artists and communities.
Contributes to employment, economic and wellbeing outcomes.