Untitled Tie by Kumanjayi Jurra Tjapaltjarri
Temporarily out of stock
Kumanjayi Jurra Tjapaltjarri’s untitled painting refers to Yunala, a creek and rockhole site-complex, west of Kiwirrkura in Western Australia. During ancestral times, a large group of Tingari men stopped at this site to dig for the edible roots of the bush banana, known as yunala (Marsdenia australis), which is abundant in this area. After their feast, the men continued travelling north-east to Tarkul, north of Winparku (Mt Webb). The Tingari Cycle is secret-sacred in nature, but in general, the Tingari are a group of ancestral beings who traversed the country, shaping the landscape through their travels.
Kumanjayi’s work is characterised by intricate, rhythmic linework, and a subtlety of palette. This work is no exception – the artist’s use of a burnt orange underpainting tempers the flow of the blue-grey surface layer, suggesting the seasonal movements of the ephemeral desert waterways. Kumanjayi favours large scale canvases that he painstakingly details with ripples of linework layered with dots. The grand scale of his works evoke an atmospheric viewpoint, reminding us of the vastness of the landscape and our fleetingness within it.
One of Twelve ties are presented in a beautiful gift box accompanied by a card detailing the artists’ work and practice.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 3 -5 days (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $14.95
Free parcel post on orders over $129 up to $400
Parcel Post - $34.95 on orders $400 and over
Express Post - $19.95 on orders up to $400
Express Post - $49.95 on orders $400 and over
Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
* For the most up-to-date information on your order delivery please download the AusPost App here.
*Please note Express Post does not mean Priority Shipping. We do not offer Priority Shipping. If you select Express Postage orders will be dispatch in the quoted time frames. For delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking
*Welcome to Country takes no responsibility for items lost in transit
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong