Welcome to Country: An Introduction to First Peoples for Young Australians
Only a few left in stock
Welcome to Country: An Introduction to our First Peoples for Young Australians is essential reading for every young Australian. This seminal text introduces and illuminates Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture for secondary students. Written by Professor Marcia Langton, one of Australia’s most prominent Indigenous voices, Welcome to Country is a modern, comprehensive and positive text designed to educate a new generation of Australians.
Covering everything from prehistory, post-colonial history, language, kinship, knowledge, art, performance, storytelling, native title, the Stolen Generations, making a rightful place for First Australians and looking to the future for Indigenous Australian. Young readers will come away with a solid understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australia and an appreciation for the world’s oldest continuous living culture.
Priced at $29.99. $7.95 postage on book only orders.
Professor Marcia Langton AO is one of Australia's most important voices for Indigenous Australia. She first became an Indigenous rights activist at Queensland University in the 1970s, and since then has worked with the Central Land Council, the Cape York Land Council and for the 1989 Royal Commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody.
In more recent times, Professor Langton has become an academic and now works at Melbourne University. Professor Langton has received many accolades, including an Order of Australia, and has authored several books. In 1999 Professor Langton was one of five Indigenous leaders who were granted an audience with the Queen to discuss the proposed recognition of Indigenous Australians in the Australian Constitution. She is also a frequent guest on the ABC's Q&A show. Professor Langton has also authored many books most notably Welcome to Country: A Travel Guide to Indigenous Australia and Welcome to Country: An Introduction to our First Peoples for Young Australians.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $150 and over)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong