Willie Wagtail Metal Sculpture by Melanie Hava
Temporarily out of stock
Reef and rainforest country inspire Melanie. Her animalia designs feature native birds. Her unique, playful interpretations are what we love about Melanie’s work and we hope you do too!
We are proud to collaborate with Melanie on this exciting project to bring you a different flavour of aboriginal culture and art, all the way form North Queensland.
Material: 3mm Corten steel, designed to rust (without corroding) and age beautifully over time.
Size: 26.7cm x 20.4cm including branch
Melanie Hava has always known she would be an artist, and started out selling her work at markets as a teenager. As a Mamu Aboriginal woman from Dugul-barra and Wari-barra family groups in the Wet Tropics of Far-North Queensland, reef and rainforest have always been prevalent in her work. Austrian patterns and use of gold leaf became later inspirations after travelling to meet her paternal family in Austria.
The blend of Aboriginal and Austrian influence produces unparalleled art that in turn creates a perfectly unique gift. Her collection is inspired by the spirit of Kinship. In the outback, she would often see emus travelling through long grasses, and occasionally, two males would join forces to protect their chicks. This banding together in kinship to feed and protect their mob echoes her own Aboriginal culture and is reflected in her work.
“I want people to look at my work and feel joy – if they’re having a bad day and they happen to see my work, that they’d feel a bit better”.
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $10.95 | Free parcel post shipping on orders $129 and over, Express Post - $14.95 | Please note for delivery times please refer to Australia Post.
(Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong