Wubbunj Linen Flat Sheet from Kip & Co and Bábbarra
Temporarily out of stock
Temporarily out of stock
Artist: Raylene Bonson
Kip&Co x Bábbarra - all profits are shared equally.
100% French flax linen flat sheet.
ABOUT THE ARTWORK:
Wubbunj, 2016 © Raylene Bonson / Licensed by Copyright Agency
These images are not to be reproduced without the approval of the licensor.
“Wubbunj is our traditional canoe. This design is the old history story of how people came to live in this place we call Maningrida. Two old people were staying on the other side of the saltwater, in Narlarrambarr area. The old people slept in a paper bark shelter and hunted on the water using their canoe. One day these old people saw a new boat in their waters, which belonged to the Makassans (Indonesians). Those two old men saw the big Makassan boat coming in, and decided to paddle their canoe from Narlarrambarr to the other side (modern day Maningrida). We were scared of the Makassans, they gave us tobacco and tea, but they took many of our women.
When those two old people tasted that water at Maningrida from the Djomi spring, it was sweet freshwater and they decided to stay here.”
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Raylene is a talented textile artist, specialising in linocut technique. She has been working with Bábbarra Designs since 2012. Raylene was mentored by her late mother, Nancy Gununwanga, a senior textile artist at Bábbarra Designs and a founding member of Bábbarra Women’s Centre.
Raylene is well known for her designs depicting ancestral stories and ceremonial objects, in particular lorrkkon (hollow log for burial ceremony), kunmadj (dillybag) and mandjabu (conical fishtrap).
Her ancestor sprits are Yawkyawk (female water spirit), and Djaddi (green monkey frog).
ABOUT THE COLLABORATION:
We are incredibly proud to share the Kip&Co x Bábbarra collaboration, which is back after popular demand, after selling out within weeks in 2020. The Bábbarra Women’s Centre is based in Maningrida, Arnhem Land, and is governed by women, for women, to enable future enterprises that support healthy and sustainable livelihoods. In 2018, Kip&Co received an invitation to collaborate with the artists and spent two years working closely with this incredible group to create a collection that respectfully showcases their contemporary art, and tells the ancestral stories of Arnhem Land countries and cultures. The partnership is best practice, and one that sets a benchmark for future collaborations. All profits are shared equally, with 50% going to the Bábbarra Women’s Centre. This is a limited edition, get in quick!
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays)
* We offer a variety of domestic shipping options with Australia Post: Parcel Post - $9.95 | 2-5 business days (Free parcel post shipping on orders $99 and over), Express Post - $14.95 | 1-2 business days (Free express post shipping on orders $149 and over) (Note: Welcome to Country reserves the right to revoke free express shipping on oversized items or multiple package deliveries. In this instance, we will revert to Parcel Post)
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance
* For the most current Australia Post delivery times, please check their website for updates. For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong